support unicef support unicef

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: New Jersey Outlaws SUP from Surf Zones when Sufers are present. What the...

New Jersey Outlaws SUP from Surf Zones when Sufers are present. What the... 10 years 9 months ago #32991

• DanGavere
  • Thank you received: 11
Don't plan any trips to NJ anytime soon to go SUP Surfing. Take your tourist dollars to other states is what I say. :frustrated:

distressedmullet.com/new-jersey-town-ban...when-surfers-present
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: New Jersey Outlaws SUP from Surf Zones when Sufers are present. What the... 10 years 9 months ago #32992

• corran
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Is there a contact at that city in NJ?

I have a letter from the coast guard that SPECIFICALLY says that a SUP is NOT a vessel, and is exactly the same as a surfboard - subject to all the rules that apply to surfing. With this letter in pocket, any SUP paddler pulled out of the water and cited simply needs to present the letter that states that it IS a surfboard, and thus if surfing is allowed, it's allowed. Period. THERE IS NO DISTINCTION between a longboard, shortboard and paddleboard as far as the coast guard is c0oncerned. They are all variations of the same thing.

I will post a copy of the letter for all to use.

Corran

Re: New Jersey Outlaws SUP from Surf Zones when Sufers are present. What the... 10 years 9 months ago #32993

• corran
  • Senior Boarder

Re: New Jersey Outlaws SUP from Surf Zones when Sufers are present. What the... 10 years 9 months ago #32994

• corran
  • Senior Boarder
Write to the editor: [mail address protected from spambots with javascript]

Here is mine - but you should encourage them to write a new article with the facts in your own way.

Dear Editor,

In reading your recent article about LBI's new ban on Stand Up Paddling in the surf zone, I want to point out the utter un-inforceability of this ruling.

The Coast Guard has unequivocally categorized a Stand Up Paddleboard as a surfboard (the official designation is a beach toy). There is no ambiguity at the coast guard with regards to this topic. There is no class difference between a Stand Up Paddleboard, just as there is no class difference between a longboard, or a shortboard, or a shortboard with four fins vs three fins. Trying to exclude paddleboards from the lineup is the same as saying "No quad fin shortboards allowed". Since the Coast Guard has no such distinction between these different kinds of beach toys, so LBI will be trying to enforce a ruling on a designation which does not exist. It has about as much chance of succeeding as banning blue boards from the lineup. Equally important is that surfers (all surfers regardless of what beach toy they are on whether it be longboard, shortboard or paddleboard) to challenge this incorrect LBI ruling.

As a news agency it is your job to inform yourselves of these laws and rulings when reporting on a subject, and I'd suggest that your article be run again with these updated facts. You cannot exclude paddleboards from the surf lineup as being some different sort of surfboard any more than you can exclude blue eyed people from sitting at the front of the bus as being some different sort of human; they are one and the same - they are all surfboards.

Corran Addison
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds