Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Crappy fin or the way a Futures box should hold?

Crappy fin or the way a Futures box should hold? 10 years 7 months ago #33035

• KayaDogg
  • Fresh Boarder
My girlfriend broke this fin last weekend with her ass, literally. It looked like someone took a huge gouge out of her, it was not pretty. 14 stitches later she's recovering nicely. I've broken fins before but they have always been FCS and have just ripped out of the board, plug and all or at least part of the base. This fin snapped halfway down and the base is still rock solid, no wiggle at all. The box and the board are fine. Is this by (Futures) design or was this just an old crappy fin that got stressed at the wrong point and couldn't handle buns of steel?

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Crappy fin or the way a Futures box should hold? 10 years 7 months ago #33036

• Ucycle
  • Fresh Boarder
that is why i like my fcs/probox combo. FCS fins have a really weak tabs design so when it hit my body parts, it usually break off. I did the same thing too, somehow the board flip over and my butt landed on top of the fin, good thing it broke right off. It did cut through my wetsuit and a little red scratch on my butt.
For your case, i think they reinforce the future box, i have board that is set on future box that is set on light weight eps core and it would sink the box in plus break the fin off on a hard impact. I would rather snap a fin than fix fin box damage.
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

Re: Crappy fin or the way a Futures box should hold? 10 years 7 months ago #33040

• JeanG
  • Fresh Boarder
Thinking about this will drive me crazy. I'm going to start wearing a cup when I surf.

Re: Crappy fin or the way a Futures box should hold? 10 years 7 months ago #33044

• corran
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
That's quite a break

Generally the fusion FCS box is stronger than futures but the funny thing with fins and boxs is that it's all hand made and you never know when you'll have an indeed weak spot - hit it just right and it breaks funny.

Hope your gf recovers!

Re: Crappy fin or the way a Futures box should hold? 10 years 7 months ago #33187

• SUPCHLU
  • Fresh Boarder
Kind of leaning with Corran's "you never know when [or where] you'll have an indeed weak spot.

Here's a pic of just the opposite result of another butt vs. fin episode....

Fin perfect, box....not so much.

Re: Crappy fin or the way a Futures box should hold? 10 years 7 months ago #33193

• Kneecap
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Ouch! Is that the new one?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Crappy fin or the way a Futures box should hold? 10 years 7 months ago #33198

• SUPCHLU
  • Fresh Boarder
No, that's my old 9'4" from my last Del Mar trip with SL last summer. Boy time (and boards) sure fly by...... :)
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds