Support American Whitewater! support unicef

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Help me figure out the best Mini Simmons Inspired SUP

Help me figure out the best Mini Simmons Inspired SUP 10 years 7 months ago #33064

• Clintsky
  • Fresh Boarder
So I'm seriously considering ordering one of these simmons inspired boards, after trying one out last week I was quickly sold on the stability, I also like a nice challenge and from seeing how guys like kneecap handle them in decent surf im inspired to get down the technique.

So the questions is, what dims?

I consider myself a pretty decent surfer, i got a pretty good handle on the short narrow mach 1 type boards but can never get too comfy on them with stability my quads start burning mid sesh, which is one of the reasons I want to try a simsup. I'm about 5'10 177lbs

What I'm thinking is 7'5 x 28 x 4, i'm also very intrigued by the asymmetrical tail i have seen on another thread

so what input can some of you guys offer?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Help me figure out the best Mini Simmons Inspired SUP 10 years 7 months ago #33066

• corran
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
The tail isn't asym. The entire board is asym from rail shape, outline, rocker, bottom concave, fin placement etc.

Those dims look quite good for your size. If you're talking about the Retro that strand lepper and kneecap have.

Corran

Re: Help me figure out the best Mini Simmons Inspired SUP 10 years 7 months ago #33067

• Clintsky
  • Fresh Boarder
the 7X8?

Re: Help me figure out the best Mini Simmons Inspired SUP 10 years 7 months ago #33068

• corran
  • Senior Boarder
Huh what?

Re: Help me figure out the best Mini Simmons Inspired SUP 10 years 7 months ago #33071

• Kneecap
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey Reid-mine's 7'5" x29" x4.3". I only know that because Corran told me. I told him about the length I wanted, how much I weigh (about 190#), and roughly what I was thinking in volume (he tweaked volume just a smidgen). I let him figure out the rest which he did pretty quickly and let me know. The greatest thing about getting a board from a good shaper in my opinion is letting them do their thing. I find when I get too detailed in telling the shaper what to do that a) I get exactly what I asked for, and b) it's not as good as if I let the guy who knows more than I do about shapes make a surfboard.

Just my $.02 since I've screwed up a lot of boards!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbigsup

Re: Help me figure out the best Mini Simmons Inspired SUP 10 years 7 months ago #33073

• Strand Leper
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Reid,

Mine was 7'3" by 28.5 and perfect for me. I should weight 185, but I am at 195 right now.

Loved it! XKyle's (aka JeannG) has one the exact same dimensions... I am going to use it while he is in BC.

SL

Re: Help me figure out the best Mini Simmons Inspired SUP 10 years 7 months ago #33074

• Clintsky
  • Fresh Boarder
thanks guys, i'm thinking 7'5

Re: Help me figure out the best Mini Simmons Inspired SUP 10 years 7 months ago #33077

• JeanG
  • Fresh Boarder
Shorter the better I'd say. But 7'5 is still short so you're good.

Not that I know jack about designing boards!

Re: Help me figure out the best Mini Simmons Inspired SUP 10 years 7 months ago #33088

• Clintsky
  • Fresh Boarder
thanks guys! I pulled the trigger on a 7'5 x 28, and am super stoked! also going assymetrical, might as well go all the way, right?

Now that I have the board dims squared away, what fin set ups are guys using?

controllers? regular quad set up? let a brotha know

Re: Help me figure out the best Mini Simmons Inspired SUP 10 years 7 months ago #33114

• Strand Leper
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I went keel front and Jaimie Mitchell rear for my TimSUP... That was too much fin for my Assym... For that, I went all 4 Jaimie Mitchells... But then again, I don't mind a lot of fin.

SL
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clintsky

Re: Help me figure out the best Mini Simmons Inspired SUP 10 years 7 months ago #33118

• Clintsky
  • Fresh Boarder
gotcha! no keel, very finformative thanks for the finformation!

Help me figure out the best Mini Simmons Inspired SUP 10 years 7 months ago #33125

• Eazy-E
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I think Kirk at L41 has experience working remote with folks to get them what they need. He is a cool sharp dude and he will set you up. Send him video and photos so he can learn about you.

Re: Help me figure out the best Mini Simmons Inspired SUP 10 years 6 months ago #33272

• Surfnpoppy
  • Fresh Boarder
Eazy-E wrote:
I think Kirk at L41 has experience working remote with folks to get them what they need. He is a cool sharp dude and he will set you up. Send him video and photos so he can learn about you.

I am in process with Kirk on a custom S4, I had to try the originator of SIMSUP design. The experience has been easy so far, he is in norcal I am in socal. Should have my board by month end.

Re: Help me figure out the best Mini Simmons Inspired SUP 10 years 5 months ago #33405

• Clintsky
  • Fresh Boarder
Just got my retro earlier this week, waves have been non existant here on the EC, took her out for a spin after work today and its super stable, looking forward to getting her in to some mush burgers, what are you guys doing for nose traction on these puppies? wax? deck pad? monster paint? Bueller?

Opted for a 7'5 corran made it 29 wide and went assymetrical

on the right is my 8'7 x 27.5 mach 1 step up gun for upcoming fiji trip

Re: Help me figure out the best Mini Simmons Inspired SUP 10 years 5 months ago #33406

• JeanG
  • Fresh Boarder
Sexy looking boards!

I've put Monster Traction on mine. Works great. I do love the nice smooth feel of a bare deck under my feet tho. (Innuendo unintended?)

Re: Help me figure out the best Mini Simmons Inspired SUP 10 years 5 months ago #33408

• Surfnpoppy
  • Fresh Boarder
Received my L41 S4 a little over a week ago. I have had it in small peaky Bolsa Chica waves and thumping Oceanside OH waves. 5 sessions so far.

At first I was a little put off by the look of the board in person, the chined rails and the thickness of the board looked off to me. Looks are deceiving because this board plainly rocks. The chine (IMO) makes the board ride much narrower than it is. The board goes on edge with ease and is precise in turning. The thickness, well let me say that this board is shorter but much thicker than my Kings Simmons BUT it actual seems to have some glide, which the Kings has not much, glide is welcomed I attribute this to increased volume. Surfability of this board is quite good, you can truly stand in one spot and make most any type of turn you wish.

I did not want to tell Kirk how to do his business so I just told him: height, weight, years SUPing, years surfing and that I wanted a 7'10" pocket rocket.

He made me a 7'10" x 30 1/4 x 4 1/2 @ 120 liters. Very impressed so far. :D

Re: Help me figure out the best Mini Simmons Inspired SUP 10 years 5 months ago #33409

• Ucycle
  • Fresh Boarder
which one surf better, you Kings or L41? and what size is the kings? good looking board.
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

Re: Help me figure out the best Mini Simmons Inspired SUP 10 years 5 months ago #33410

• Surfnpoppy
  • Fresh Boarder
Ucycle wrote:
which one surf better, you Kings or L41? and what size is the kings? good looking board.

With only 5 sessions on the L41 my general feeling is the L41 surfs better, but with only 5 sessions it's hard to tell. It definitely surfs shorter which I like allot. The Kings is 8'4" x 30 x 4

Re: Help me figure out the best Mini Simmons Inspired SUP 10 years 5 months ago #33411

• corran
  • Senior Boarder
Have you been able to try the Retro - if so how does it compare?

Corran

Re: Help me figure out the best Mini Simmons Inspired SUP 10 years 5 months ago #33415

• Clintsky
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes!
we finally got hit with some waves and yesterday was very fun, about chest high and clean. First I grabbed the 8'7, totally solid board was reassured that it is going to work very well in Fiji and on those bigger days. Basically a slightly bigger more stable version of my 8'3. Super pysched to have it in my quiver!

After about 45 minutes on the Mach 1 step up, I ran back home and grabbed the retro to give it a go, the first thing i noticed was how ridiculously stable the board is for its size, with that comes the excessive yawing, after only a few paddle strokes I had to switch hands but I got used to how the board responded surprisingly fast and made the adjustments.

This board is fast! I mean super fast! Almost too fast, I was making a conscious effort to move my back foot to the inside/outside rail for turns and snaps and the damn thing is very responsive, I have to get used to the liveliness of the board and it will take a bunch of sessions to really get it dialed in, but I surprised myself with how well I did on it for my first session

I few other observations:
-My paddle sometimes hit the keel fins when I took deeper strokes, something that never happened with other boards.
-There was a few times where the tail was sliding out a bit which made it hard to rebound off of cutbacks, I'm thinking of adding a trailer fin to see if that helps add more catch. Could the fact that its asym and the back fins aren't in alignment exacerbate this?

All and all very satisfied, now just need to decide how I'm gonna put traction on the nose, any suggestions? wax, monster paint or deck padding?

Re: Help me figure out the best Mini Simmons Inspired SUP 10 years 4 months ago #33430

• corran
  • Senior Boarder
Put a little bigger tail fins in - this will stop the tail washing on hard cutbacks... either that or a nubb in the center.

If your paddle is hitting the fin paddling you're taking too long of a stroke - paddle should be exiting at about your feet

Corran

Re: Help me figure out the best Mini Simmons Inspired SUP 10 years 4 months ago #33443

• Allison Sup Race Fins
  • Fresh Boarder
Phoenix Infinity with Simmons style Twins I think may be the call my friend using Probox Finsystem which is a system designed for large twins.

Re: Help me figure out the best Mini Simmons Inspired SUP 10 years 20 hours ago #33549

• Srfnff
  • Fresh Boarder
Board Review: Original SIMSUP S3/S5 Hybrid (The SNAzY) srfnff.blogspot.com/2014/03/board-review...nal-simsup-s3s5.html

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Time to create page: 0.611 seconds