Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Fun Retro Surf SUPs

Fun Retro Surf SUPs 10 years 8 months ago #33030

• Kneecap
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
SUP surfers looking for a home! Since the free exchange of ideas isn't welcome in all forums, it's nice to see there are places out there where we can discuss these things.

As a recent convert to SimSUP designs, I have to say that the one thing that seems pretty consistent across all the designs I've tried is fun. I stepped off a Corran Mach 1 at 92 liters to a Corran Retro at 106. While the Mach 1 is probably the best pure surfboard I've been on in a seriously long time, I find the Retro to be more fun and less work overall. I'm not gifted with superhuman balance like some, so the Mach 1 was such a struggle to paddle. Once on a wave, especially a steep one, it was a dream.

The Retro, on the other hand, is just pure joy. I paddle out in knee high slop and have a blast. I've caught triple overhead bombs on it, and while it was a bit sketchy, it was so freaking fast! I find I surf more and longer on the short fat board. It requires quite a bit more footwork than the narrower board. The hardest thing to learn was hard carving, but it boiled down to moving my foot around more to be able to bury a rail. That, and a nubster fin helped me lock in more and prevent unwanted sliding. I feel like I've got the board fairly locked in now. I hear so much about the asymm designs and where it's all going. It's a good time to be riding surfboards!

The video that got me thrown out of the Zone:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Fun Retro Surf SUPs 10 years 7 months ago #33033

• Strand Leper
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Nice video Kneecap!!!

You should have just put an SUPsports sticker over the Corran sticker, all would have been good!

Loved the little noserides... that board can do it all!!!

SL

Re: Fun Retro Surf SUPs 10 years 7 months ago #33037

• Ucycle
  • Fresh Boarder
Or a Tower decal would work too.

FYI: Kneecap, you rip on that board or any board..
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

Re: Fun Retro Surf SUPs 10 years 7 months ago #33039

• JeanG
  • Fresh Boarder
Awesome video.

Re: Fun Retro Surf SUPs 10 years 7 months ago #33047

• Clintsky
  • Fresh Boarder
WOW Kneecap!

I cant understand why a SUP site would not want that video posted, your my idol!

I tried out a stock retro last weekend for a session and had trouble turning it, but i could see how it is a sick board, very stable and fast although you look like you got that thing on lock down!

Thnks for posting

-Reid

Re: Fun Retro Surf SUPs 10 years 7 months ago #33051

• Kneecap
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Reid! They're really different to surf. You have to be right on the tail. That stomp pad is there for a reason. Once I got used to the unusual for position, it was just a matter of getting the for movement down.

Aside from the Retros, there's a bunch of L41's down here. Old Zoners Big Ed and Boludo really have then dialed in. It's such a user friendly design. I think the majority of us middle aged rippers will be very happy on them.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Fun Retro Surf SUPs 10 years 7 months ago #33053

• JeanG
  • Fresh Boarder
Yup, gotta get on the tail and move your rear foot whichever edge you want to turn with. Unlike the high perf boards, you have to move around a lot on these things. But it pays off.

Re: Fun Retro Surf SUPs 10 years 7 months ago #33058

• Clintsky
  • Fresh Boarder
yeah, Kneecap displays the rearfoot shift very nicely, corran and tim were telling me i had to do that but just couldnt translate it, would need a few sessions with it in smaller waves, i can def see getting one soon performance with max stability

Re: Fun Retro Surf SUPs 10 years 7 months ago #33065

• Clintsky
  • Fresh Boarder
Question for you knee (and others who have this type of board)

Without factoring stability, do you now prefer a board like the retro or a board like the mach1, i know the benefits of each type, but lets say the waves are really nice and your legs are fresh, which board and why?

-Reid

Re: Fun Retro Surf SUPs 10 years 7 months ago #33069

• Kneecap
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm kind of hooked on the feel of the Retro these days. I'm loving the loose skatey feel of it. Plus it's so fast it's addictive.

One thing that was really cool about making the switch is that it changed the way I surf in a way I'm enjoying. I've never surfed vertically or in the pocket enough on my front side. Because the Retro is so loose and wants to slide if you're not on it right, I had to learn to drop in straighter and drive out farther into the flats to bottom turn. That makes me come up the face steeper and turn more in the pocket than I used to. I'm loving that feeling.

Now if the surf was 6'and prefect barrels what would I pick? Probably the Mach 1. I hate switching back and forth a lot though cuz I feel like I waste waves getting the feel of the new board when u switch around a lot. So since the Retro is so good for most days, I dig on getting a good as I can on it.

Re: Fun Retro Surf SUPs 10 years 7 months ago #33072

• Strand Leper
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
That's a tough one Clintsky. I have had the Timsup aka f*ing Retro out in 4-6... And has anabsolute blast. Once you dial it in, the shorter length ( mine 7'3") allows you to do crazy things that you didn't think we're possible on a standup... Like tail slides in the pocket, for example. It is a bit wide for fitting in the barrel, so if it were 6 feet and throwing, I would go Mach 1... On the other hand, if it was at Tavi, I would go retro for two reasons, (1) afternoon chop; and (2) the speed to make sections.

The reality, however is that I would take the twisted retro, my 7'8" Assym stretched retro... The TimAsSup.

Did this help or confuse?

SL

Re: Fun Retro Surf SUPs 10 years 7 months ago #33075

• JeanG
  • Fresh Boarder
I seem to bounce back and forth between favoring the Mach1 and favoring the Retro. The shorter length of the Simsups is awesome, and the speed and fun level is just rad. But sometimes I like the precision carves of the Mach1 board.

Haven't ridden any Assyms yet, but I bet they are awesome.

If I could only have one, I really don't know what I'd do. Probably the Retro, but it'd be a difficult decision as I love this particular Mach1 so much...

Re: Fun Retro Surf SUPs 10 years 7 months ago #33189

• SUPCHLU
  • Fresh Boarder
SUP surfers looking for a home! Since the free exchange of ideas isn't welcome in all forums, it's nice to see there are places out there where we can discuss these things.
So is this the new home of the SZ rejects? :roflol:

If so, move on over, and let me squeeze in.....after being banned twice from over there, I've run out of IP addresses and new screen names to sneak in with over there. :bounce:

Cool video Knee, but anything with that dang "Corran" name on it will get you banned from all over. Not only got me booted from the SZ for posting video of the "Infiltrator" with it, but they're also not all that keen on seeing it near the lineup at Lowers. :cursing: :stop: :naughty: The guy's a real troublemaker. :lol:

Good seeing some familiar "faces" here.....now someone needs to go get SoCalSupper, sup_surf_giant and all the others......

Re: Fun Retro Surf SUPs 10 years 7 months ago #33190

• corran
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I had nothing to do with that fight at Lowers... I was too busy paddling on down to Churches by the time they surfaced....

Re: Fun Retro Surf SUPs 10 years 7 months ago #33194

• Kneecap
  • Fresh Boarder
I need more info on this Lowers thing. I've surfed Churches a couple times lately out of desperation to get in the water (sorry I didn't get there today Dave-the South wind was on Oceanside early so I didn't bother to drive up! ), and it hasn't been too bad. I would imagine a different story if there's a swell running.

Re: Fun Retro Surf SUPs 10 years 7 months ago #33197

• SUPCHLU
  • Fresh Boarder
Not a whole lot more on that "Lowers thing".......

Did the same "desperation" thing as you last week, and when we got tired of the shin-slapping "bombs" at Church, thought we'd do some exploring around Lowers, since there was all of four proners out, and at least it was waist high there at the time.

Made the paddle up and past them by about a 1/4 mile (nothing really breaking), but somewhere during that time, we figured that one of the little grom's moms must have called the LGs when she saw us big, evil SUPers paddle behind her precious little package of rubber clad joy.....

Because by the time we sat down on our boards just to chat, there was LG on the beach PAing us that we can't surf there. Yelling back, "We're sitting, not surfing.....WTF's here to surf on?" seemed like the appropriate thing to say, but all it got us was an "Excellent.....now paddle out of the area please". Well, at least he said "please".

So no real story, other than I'm sure that if it wasn't for that dang troublemaking red board I was on, I'm sure we would have snuck in under the radar and just hung out up there. Darn Corran boards that you can get in any color you like.....as long as it's red. :grin: :grin:

Re: Fun Retro Surf SUPs 10 years 7 months ago #33199

• corran
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
You're a trouble maker and thats all there is to it

Corran

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds