support unicef support unicef

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Strand Leppers new Asym

Strand Leppers new Asym 11 years 1 month ago #32821

• corran
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Something for faster bigger waves, but keeping the spirit of the Simmons Surf shape, here is the new Asym interpretation for that: 7'8" x 28" x 4.3" - 105ltr

- Toe side is 1" narrower than heelside
- heel side tail is 3" shorter, and 1/2" narrower than toe side at the tip of the tail
- heelside has 1/4" more tail rocker from the fins back

Ahhhh... this is going to rock.

Corran

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Strand Leppers new Asym 11 years 1 month ago #32822

• Strand Leper
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Yes,

I have unloaded a few boards... and will be trying to see if the TimSUP shape can translate to a step up board. As the TimSUP was ROCKING in overhead lumpy reef surf this weekend, I think that this idea may have possibilities... the Assym taking a slight edge off of the inherent bulkiness of the design.

SL

Re: Strand Leppers new Asym 11 years 1 month ago #32832

• Fark
  • Fresh Boarder
What boards did you unload? I don't remember a strand Leper yard sale?

Re: Strand Leppers new Asym 11 years 4 weeks ago #32840

• Strand Leper
  • Fresh Boarder
I just didn't want to sound like a prick with too much money.. :) But I did get rid of skinny Mach 1. I have guys PM me asking for first dibs on my next liquidations... so they get a shot before the shout out goes to the masses. I think one of these boards would ROCK in your conditions Fark.

SL

Re: Strand Leppers new Asym 11 years 4 weeks ago #32842

• Fark
  • Fresh Boarder
I've been kicking around the idea of heading to the local great lakes shaper and seeing what he could do with it. His race board shaping has blown up, so he's swamped and may not want to dive in right now. So far the force is strong and I've been able to resist. We'll see. :)

Re: Strand Leppers new Asym 10 years 11 months ago #32910

• Strand Leper
  • Fresh Boarder
So Corran's domination of the Kern River Games, and his producing eighty bazillion Doppler all around boards (gotta get me one of those) has delayed completion of the Assym. DYING to get on that thing!

It does not help that I broke a fin off my TimSUP, then buckled my Mach Bobby Roger...

1/3 of my quiver... out of commission.

SL

Re: Strand Leppers new Asym 10 years 11 months ago #32911

• Strand Leper
  • Fresh Boarder
The Simmons inspired Corran Addison shaped Assymetrical TimSUP... Step up!

Almost ready to ride.

Re: Strand Leppers new Asym 10 years 11 months ago #32935

• Strand Leper
  • Fresh Boarder
I present to you ... the Corran Addison Assymetrical Step Up Tim SUP... the TimASSUP.

The fins pictured are too big as the tail area is much smaller than the TimSUP (aka F'ing Retro) and the vee off the tail is more relaxed. Going to go with Jaimie Mitchell fronts and controller rears... then maybe to full Jaimie Mitchells.

The goal of this board is to mate much of the speed of the Mini Simmons type design, with the precision of the standard 26.5 wide Corran Addison Mach 1. We will see how she goes.

Re: Strand Leppers new Asym 10 years 11 months ago #32936

• corran
  • Senior Boarder
Nice Carpet. Do they make them for guys too?

Re: Strand Leppers new Asym 10 years 10 months ago #32940

• Fark
  • Fresh Boarder
Any full on performance posts on this yet? Think Corran is willing to do one for the Great Lakes? ;)

Looks really great.

Re: Strand Leppers new Asym 10 years 10 months ago #32944

• corran
  • Senior Boarder
Sure... let me know what you want

Corran

Re: Strand Leppers new Asym 10 years 10 months ago #32947

• Strand Leper
  • Fresh Boarder
I will write one up tonight.

Unreal performance. The speed of the TimSUP, but does not feel as bulky or wide... was threading barrels all swell on this thing.

SL

Re: Strand Leppers new Asym 10 years 10 months ago #32948

• Strand Leper
  • Fresh Boarder
7'8" by 28" ... 105 liters. A little heavier than my usual as I asked for a smidge more glass, about 12 pounds with pad and fins. Quad

Purpose: To get the Simmons Inspired Glide without the drift in turns and lack of precision in tight sections. Also, to be able to link sections at a VERY fast reef by my house on big and hollow days.

Shaper: Corran Addison Designs

His name for it: The Twisted Retro

I have surfed this board nine times in the past week, not a session has been under head high... as far as surfing a draining reef in O head plus waves on a very low rockered board... me likey. Fits in the pocket... hangs high... hangs low... pumps through sections... unreal speed on its own...

I have so much confidence on this board, that is a little bit unnerving. Had a head high wave on Monday... threaded a section to a big committed roundhouse... to a head dip to another roundhouse... float over a closeout section to make the next section and hit the final closeout lip... check. Most other waves were racing sections, hopping over the closeout after threading a few sections with insane speed. The Assym smooths out the turns in a "hard to believe" fashion. Going with Jaimie Mitchells all the way around... but will switch the rears out to controllers in mushier waves.

Didn't have too many rights... those that presented themselves were simple barrel racing sections... I backdoored one on Sunday that my mate Adam was (1) pissed that I went right... and (2) in utter disbelief when I glided out at the end of the section. Looking forward to burying the rail on my backhand.

Will this replace the TimSUP? I don't know.

What are the limits? Well, for one, the additional glide from the minimal rocker and extra length and width tell me that other than TJ Slough on a VERY big day, this board can handle all the swell that So Cal can throw at it. The width makes it manageable in just about any wind condition for which SUP is possible. How small of a wave can you surf on it? I don't know... but I will soon find out... I think that it will rip in ankle to knee high... but that size will likely belong to the TimSUP... but we will see.

Other limits? The minimal rocker makes a pocket snap on a hollow wave a very difficult move... (it is a move that I am pretty sure I do in my sleep on a standard rockered board)... you have to snap it from the tail and touch lightly with your front foot until it comes around... and that point, it is cake to snap it back around.

Other limits? I don't think that there are any other than the rider. The assym at the tail makes the board surf so much narrower than it is... it is hard to describe. I am going to have a board made with this same outline, but with standard SL rocker... I have a feeling that such a board will be a touch slower, but something that you can surf like a Mach 1 or Mach Bobby Roger.

SL

Re: Strand Leppers new Asym 10 years 10 months ago #32949

• Fark
  • Fresh Boarder
Awesome write up. It sounds like after all of your R&D, you may have discovered the two board quiver. With that being said, the new development with more rocker should be just as interesting to hear about. In your opinion, how much would more volume effect the overall performance? The freshwater conditions require us to have more float on the board than the ocean does. This may be a question for Corran, but how would you recommend getting more foam in the board and keeping the performance of the designs. I think the Retro would suit the area here better that the Timasssup, but it would be great to have one just in case.

Another great write up and another great board. I'm stoked that you get to own these things and share the feedback with the rest of us. Keep it coming!!

Re: Strand Leppers new Asym 10 years 10 months ago #32950

• corran
  • Senior Boarder
The extra volume needed can be calculated almost exactly (different oceans have different saline levels, but its not enough to make a massive difference, so an Average can be taken and then used against fresh water). You'd want it in the rails as much as along the stringer so that your rails are not too low volume either for carving.

It's pretty easy to do.

Corran

Re: Strand Leppers new Asym 10 years 10 months ago #32951

• Fark
  • Fresh Boarder
This is why we need to have talks like this. I learned a ton from corrans post. :clap:

Re: Strand Leppers new Asym 10 years 10 months ago #32952

• Strand Leper
  • Fresh Boarder
Maybe we should name it the AWEsym... cause it surfs AWESOME.

SL

Re: Strand Leppers new Asym 10 years 10 months ago #32953

• Fark
  • Fresh Boarder
Maybe. It does have a bit of a better ring than "Retro".

Re: Strand Leppers new Asym 10 years 8 months ago #33048

• Clintsky
  • Fresh Boarder
drool.....is that the one you busted?

Re: Strand Leppers new Asym 10 years 8 months ago #33061

• Strand Leper
  • Fresh Boarder
Indeed it is. Should be repaired shortly. No creases on this one. Just backless on each rail.

The other two were: clean snap in two... And buckle and crease at the vent.

SL

Re: Strand Leppers new Asym 10 years 8 months ago #33188

• Strand Leper
  • Fresh Boarder
That one is still in surgery... Picked up a new one from Corran today with a bit more rocker and with the new FCS snap boxes. Pics soon...

Re: Strand Leppers new Asym 10 years 8 months ago #33191

• corran
  • Senior Boarder
AWEsome - I like it

Re: Strand Leppers new Asym 10 years 7 months ago #33219

• SUPflorida
  • Fresh Boarder
Pictures please :bounce: How much more rocker did you inject...and is it balanced throughout the board or only additional nose or tail kick ?
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds