Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Quiver Shots!

Quiver Shots! 11 years 6 days ago #32797

• Strand Leper
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
How about a few quiver shots. What are you riding? Dimensions, fin setup, shaper... Do Tell!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Quiver Shots! 11 years 6 days ago #32801

• sup_surf_giant
  • Fresh Boarder
This is my go to surf SUP, not super easy to paddle, but it shreds. 7'11x29x4.5/8 Infinity Blurr

This is my back up for when it's choppy or super small. 8'5x30x4.5/8 Infinity TL

Re: Quiver Shots! 11 years 6 days ago #32804

• gjbsup
  • Fresh Boarder

Starboard's 8-2 and 8-10 Wide Point Brushed Carbon. Great for our East Coast waves. Supports my solid 195 # frame and is stable but maneuverable in the surf.. The 8-2 as a truster( I added a FCS fusion center box) and the 8-10 as a 2+1 fin set up ...

Re: Quiver Shots! 11 years 6 days ago #32805

• Strand Leper
  • Fresh Boarder
Going for a full quiver shot this weekend sometime... but for now, here are my two favorite flavors:

The Corran Addison TimSUP aka Retro... (or as I call it "F'ing Retro") ... a Simmons inspired 7'3" by 28.5 by 4 SUP... SICK, SICK, SICK! I saw what Kirk McGinty was doing at L41 in Santa Cruz and wanted to try one... with a domed deck, slight concave under the nose and a little flip in the tip. Great for small waves... unbelievable in small waves... but I had it out at a secret spot reef today and it KILLED in 3-5 foot chunks.

The Roger Hinds Mach Twin. An 8'2" by 26.5 by 3 7/8 twin... based on an old MR / Bill Stewart type 1982 twin fin... but blown up for SUP... with custom Twin Fins by Larry Allison!
Attachments:

Re: Quiver Shots! 11 years 6 days ago #32806

• Glenn B
  • Fresh Boarder
Nice pics guys. I'm a sucker for quiver photos and performance reports - trying to figure out which way to jump for my next board.

Giant - I've been intrigued by the Blurr for awhile. Very nice.

GJB - which one of those Starboards do you find you reach for the most? Also curious about the other dims?

SL - a full quiver shot would be very cool - especially if you included a description of which board you'd currently pull out for which conditions!

GB

Re: Quiver Shots! 11 years 5 days ago #32807

• Strand Leper
  • Fresh Boarder
Will do Glenn. Corran just shaped a 117 liter TimSUP demo... u need to try it before u decide, mind blowing, versatile, and stable!

SL

Re: Quiver Shots! 11 years 5 days ago #32808

• Cardiff
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
:dance:

Nice boards!

:sleep:

Re: Quiver Shots! 11 years 5 days ago #32809

• KayaDogg
  • Fresh Boarder
SL, what's the volume on your TimSUP? I forget, I know it's sub 100, right? 117 seems kind of high for that shape but is that so a wide range of people can demo it with success?

Re: Quiver Shots! 11 years 5 days ago #32810

• Strand Leper
  • Fresh Boarder
KDog,

Mine is 97-98 liters. The demo is aimed at the guy without the super balance skills, or the larger dude. I am just north of 190 these days. My 210 pound friend went nuts over it.

SL

Re: Quiver Shots! 11 years 5 days ago #32812

• Fark
  • Fresh Boarder
Strand,
How does the nubster on the twin fin work in the set up? Does it make it ride different than a normal twin would? I'm loving your new Fing retro gear!!!!!!

Re: Quiver Shots! 11 years 5 days ago #32816

• Cardiff
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
:frustrated:

Re: Quiver Shots! 11 years 5 days ago #32817

• gjbsup
  • Fresh Boarder
Glenn B .....The 8-2 I grab or go for the most. The detentions for the 8-2 is 32 wide and just under 4.1/2 thick at 130 L Floats me well and is stable. weighs 14.8 lbs without fins and deck pad. Now with the pad and fins its 16.3 lbs......
The 8-10 is also 32 wide and 4 1/4 thick . at 143 L.. Super stable especially in chop. The wide point is forward of center and has a pulled in tail allowing the board to be really maneuverable. You can go to the starboard site for specific dems..

Re: Quiver Shots! 11 years 5 days ago #32818

• Glenn B
  • Fresh Boarder
Rushing to post my modest "quiver" before Strand Leper posts his - and shows what a real quiver looks like.

Love my Ron House's. Both hand shaped; both ride like a dream . . . in much different ways.

11'0 X 29 X 4 3/4
9'2" X 29 1/2 X 4 1/4
Attachments:

Re: Quiver Shots! 11 years 5 days ago #32820

• Glenn B
  • Fresh Boarder
GJB - Thanks for the dims. Very nice photos!

Re: Quiver Shots! 11 years 5 days ago #32823

• Strand Leper
  • Fresh Boarder
Glenn,

I LOVE your House swallow tail! That looks SOOO sweet!

As to my quiver... yes, it is a sickness... it is about to get sicker.

SL

Re: Quiver Shots! 11 years 4 days ago #32827

• corran
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Glen B and Strand Lepper - you need to cligk on "insert" next to the photo upload to get the photo to post IN the threat rather than as an attachment.

Corran

Re: Quiver Shots! 11 years 4 days ago #32837

• Glenn B
  • Fresh Boarder

Thanks Corran.

Hopefully this works better - showing the Ron House swallow-tail in action.

Me and the seagull, having similar thoughts . . .

Re: Quiver Shots! 11 years 4 days ago #32841

• Strand Leper
  • Fresh Boarder
Fark wrote:
Strand,
How does the nubster on the twin fin work in the set up? Does it make it ride different than a normal twin would? I'm loving your new Fing retro gear!!!!!!

My first wave on the Mach Twin was a WELL overhead set wave... I would call it the biggest wave of the morning... I will let others confirm, deny, or ignore... super smooth takeoff... planed right into the wave, pivot under the lip... pump... roundhouse... speed turns and burns all the way to the beach. Was not sure how hard I could push the board... and didn't want to blow it... but it was fast and had DRIVE like crazy...

That was with the nubster in. It is a little too sticky with the nubster in quite frankly. I went to take the nubster out, and the glasser stripped one of the hex bolts for the nubster... so I got a little screwed. I am going to drill out that hex bolt tonight or tomorrow.

SL

Re: Quiver Shots! 11 years 4 days ago #32843

• Fark
  • Fresh Boarder
I wondered if it would take away from that twinnie feel, but who am I to second guess Larry.

Re: Quiver Shots! 11 years 4 days ago #32844

• Strand Leper
  • Fresh Boarder
Fark,

It does take away from the twinny feel big time. With the nubber in the board felt like a super fast, stiff thruster... (stiff because the fins are so far back).

Stoked that he put the box in, though... as the board is so stable and fast, that it could conceivably be a REALLY big wave board.

SL

Re: Quiver Shots! 10 years 11 months ago #32861

• Ucycle
  • Fresh Boarder
There are the two board i surf the most on:
6'8x29.5'4.25"
and
8'0x27x3.75" Imagine/Corran

i also have a 9'0 x28" Ron House, 11' Chinese brand, i call it Green Monster(cause it weight 30+ lb) and 9'0 SupLove Mach1. All of those all loaner for friends cause they are great learner board.

"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

Re: Quiver Shots! 10 years 11 months ago #32863

• Strand Leper
  • Fresh Boarder
I have Junior dropping by this weekend and my Mach Bobby Roger is back from the repair person par excellence Molly Logan over off of Edwards. (Molly Logan Surfboards). Maybe I can con him into standing on the roof to take a cool quiver pic ala surfline?

... boards arrayed akimbo, dimensions... nice descriptions of the conditions for each... I will try to make sure that my hair is arranged in a "devil may care" fashion as well.

SL

Re: Quiver Shots! 10 years 11 months ago #32864

• Strand Leper
  • Fresh Boarder
Ucycle,

That Imagine is SICK! I remember when I rode that at Oceanside... I didn't want to give it back.

SL

Re: Quiver Shots! 10 years 11 months ago #32865

• SUPCHLU
  • Fresh Boarder
Strand Leper wrote:
KDog,

Mine is 97-98 liters. The demo is aimed at the guy without the super balance skills, or the larger dude. I am just north of 190 these days. My 210 pound friend went nuts over it.

SL
While I know that SL has a bunch of friends, and I know of a couple of them that match that description....the first time I was out on that demo with all of my "210 pound" self....as soon as I got out of the water with it, I texted Corran, and ordered one then and there.

Talked with Corran wrt possibly going smaller and reducing the volume a tad, since it's a bit more than the board(s) I'm currently riding and comfortable on....but after having him see me paddle it around a bit, and how it sat in the water with me just standing on it....and also how, and where I planned on surfing it the majority of the time....

It was determined that we were getting near the point of "dimensioning returns" in picking up only a little bit more "surfability" vs. the loss of stability in the more chop/slop conditions that we often end up with.

IOW's, I had a stinking blast on the 7'8"x30"x4.3"x119 liters in various conditions that I had it out in on a couple occasions, so why "Fart" with it, and potentially come up with something that I might end up not as happy on (unfortunately, "been there, done that" with another couple boards, and can't afford to keep paying for my "experiments).

Hopefully I'll have it in another couple weeks.....Corran? :D
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds