Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: C4 at it again...

C4 at it again... 10 years 3 months ago #33449

• corran
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
C4 waterman is doing it again - trying to sue everyone claiming to have invented the Inflatable paddleboard (20 years after Sevalor did it). Dwindling sales has lead them on a path to take other peoples money, rather than making their own.

I have no problem with patenting real inventions (I have several myself), but this is just them making a grab on pre-exisiting technology. Lucky for me, my inflatable boards don't infringe on their so-called patent, but friends of mine in the industry have started to get letters from C4's attorneys requiring them to pay 5% of their gross income for having made an inflatable board.

Their patent specifically says "a fin disposed underneath" with the illustrations clearly showing this. My new Skeg system is TAIL mounted, and because their patent specifically requires a fin mounted on the underside, which mine is not, this (amongst other design differences in my case) means my boards are safe from these vultures. Woohoo. In addition, I use a SKEG not a fin.

Whats the difference you might ask? Well the same as a paddle vs an oar. They both have a shaft and a blade, but their intended use is different. In the same fashion, a fin is designed to give a board hold and drive. A skeg is designed to make a kayak (and now a paddleboard) go in a straight line. Similar yes, but not the same.

So, now I'm making my skeg system available to others so they can avoid the C4 trolls who are out there leaching off of other peoples work and efforts. And remember... if you're a consumer, don't support parasites like C4!

The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds