Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Paddle Design Information

Paddle Design Information 9 years 5 months ago #33632

• AquaJake
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi there,

My name is Jacob. I’m a Product Design major at San Jose State University in San Jose, CA, USA. I started doing Stand Up Paddle boarding a few summers ago and I’m hooked! I’m a swimmer at heart, so SUP really adds to my passion for water sports. I’m designing a SUP Paddle for one of my school projects this semester, so I though I’d come to this forum for some expert advice. First off, I’m conducting a quick 19 question survey to get a better understanding of my demographic and what is appealing to them. The link is below. I’d appreciate it if who ever reads this takes the survey! I don’t care if you are a professional or a beginner, your answers would be of great help to me!

docs.google.com/forms/d/1bPevU7YUs5cO5Sx...1&usp=mail_form_link

Secondly, I have a few questions regarding paddle design. Again, I’d appreciate any feedback regarding these questions!

1. Looking at the paddles on the market I noticed that most of the paddle head designs retain a water drop shape with a flat or slightly curved bottom edge. Is there a reason for this universal shape? I see how some manufactures play around with the design of the face of the paddle, such as the Quickblade V-Drive and Swift Sweeper, but not much surrounding the overall shape.

2. I have a similar question regarding the grip of the paddle. Is there a reason for the t-shaped grip used universally across the market? Have any manufactures tried a ball grip before or ergonomic grips on the shaft itself?

3. Where do you personally see the sport going in the future? It has been growing a lot over the years and been increasingly popular among families and other recreational users. Do you think it will become too commercial or stay within the surfing community?

If you have any other feedback regarding paddle design, please feel free to share!

Thank you for your time!

Jacob
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Paddle Design Information 9 years 5 months ago #33633

• supzero
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Did the survey for you. Please let us know the results here.

Cheers,
Jeroen
SUPzero
supzero.com
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds