support unicef Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: What board? (And other kit?)

What board? (And other kit?) 11 years 4 months ago #32772

• bertrand
  • Fresh Boarder
OK, so I am keen to give river SUP a go.

Previously received some advice from Dan on FB, thanks Dan!
Just trying to get some more and up to date info on what to look for in a board etc.

Corran knows the stretch of the Vaal at Parys (South Africa).

Is this stretch of river ok for SUP? What board and other kit do I need?

I suppose going inflatable is the way for rocky sections?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What board? (And other kit?) 11 years 4 months ago #32773

• Jeroen
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 8
I don't know that river personally, but have seen a lot of photos, and it looks like a good river for SUP. Not sure if that are any big drops in there - you probably don't want to run those as a beginner, unless you're an adrenaline junkie.

Make sure to start practicing on the easy stretches.

Use a PFD, helmet, leash with emergency release (if you have a quick release on your PFD belt, that works), good shoes, and possibly shin protection.

When falling off the board, try to fall flat - what goes up must come down, and if you fall in with your feet down, those feet will sink deep, and run a real danger of getting entrapped.

Plastic boards work pretty well, but are terrible to carry around, so unless the put-in and take-out are close to your car and there are no portages, you probably want to go inflatable.

Enjoy and please let us know here how it went :)
If you're happy, you're successful.

Re: What board? (And other kit?) 11 years 3 months ago #32781

• bertrand
  • Fresh Boarder
Ok, thanks for the advice.

No drops really, just low and rocky most of the year. I think I will go for inflatable. Same advice Dan gave me. Just not sure what size board etc. I weigh just under 80kg. The section we usually run is easy and we run with playboats as it is more fun and also with shallow sections easier to maneuver a playboat through than a creek boat. One surf wave / play hole on the section as well.

Not very worried about speed, more for fun etc.

Re: What board? (And other kit?) 11 years 3 months ago #32782

• Jeroen
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 8
Go for small. I'm a bit over 80 kgs and also run easy whitewater, and I always use the shortest version of the inflatables. Makes the whole thing more playful and also more maneuverable. If you like getting the board half way vertical (standing on its tail), be aware that this is a quite unstable position on a 6" board. On a 4" board it's easier, but they are a bit less stiff. The MCIT from Badfish is a nice compromise, as it's pretty thin towards the ends, and thicker in the center, and it's a bit stiffer than a pure 4" board. They are a bit more expensive though, so you may want to get started with any short inflatable :)
If you're happy, you're successful.

Re: What board? (And other kit?) 11 years 3 months ago #32784

• paddletime
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
This board could be good for you. Its new for 2013 and I know NRS will ship to South Africa. Its nice and stable, turns easy and has a great stomp pad on the back for getting vertical.

Aaron
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds