support unicef support unicef

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

Poll: From which side did you get into SUP?

Total number of voters: 0
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: From which side did you get into SUP?

From which side did you get into SUP? 10 years 10 months ago #32962

• supzero
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Wondering what sports people did before they got into SUP. Personally I came from whitewater kayaking. I've never been a real adrenaline junkie though, and once you know the basics of whitewater kayaking, you have to get into more dangerous stuff to keep learning (or do whitewater slalom, which never appealed to me). However, when I first tried a SUP, I noticed how much you can learn again every day, on the same old easy whitewater :) Very rewarding.

How did you get into SUP?

SUPzero
supzero.com
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: From which side did you get into SUP? 10 years 9 months ago #32966

• corran
  • Senior Boarder
How can I click on two?

Re: From which side did you get into SUP? 10 years 9 months ago #32968

• supzero
  • Fresh Boarder
I renamed 'Other' to 'None or both or the above' for you. No multiple-select in this poll software...
SUPzero
supzero.com

Re: From which side did you get into SUP? 10 years 8 months ago #33127

• ObviousSup
  • Fresh Boarder
I have to go with neither. When I was young I did occasionally swipe my dad's longboard to try it out but never got hooked. The combination of being clumsy and really nearsighted didn't make for a fun time. I spent quite a bit of time rowing in rivers and sailing in a small lake then transitioned to white water rafting. I never was very confident of my ability to roll back up so I didn't try out white water kayaking. My girlfiends sister works for Naish and borrowed a couple of boards for a big family camping trip over Memorial Day weekend two years ago. The first time I got out on the lake I was hooked. Just being able to toss the board in the water and go was so much less fuss than my sailboat. I ended up selling it to help pay for part of my board. With lots of things demanding my time being able to get on the water and go immediately makes a huge difference between doing projects or just getting out on the water for a little while.

Re: From which side did you get into SUP? 10 years 8 months ago #33138

• Kneecap
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I came into it from surfing. I'd been surfing for over 30 years been all over the world. I had a serious knee injury and was out of the water for about three years. I got to surf for almost a year then blew my knee out again and was out for a year to the day.

When I got back in the water surfing wasn't the same. It hurt. Every time I surfed it was straight to the advil and ice and I didn't feel like surfing for a couple days. I borrowed a friend's massive stand up and once I caught one I was hooked. Once I got to where I could turn I found out that I can use the paddle as a crutch and it takes a lot of stress off the knee. Now I can surf everyday and it just hurts a little bit most of the time. I'm very fortunate to have found sup.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Re: From which side did you get into SUP? 10 years 8 months ago #33139

• benjamin_smith
  • Fresh Boarder
I came from surfing. Moved to Colorado and tried to take up kayaking to fill the void of living 16 hours away from the closest surf break. I found SUP about a year later and haven't touched the kayaks since.

Re: From which side did you get into SUP? 10 years 8 months ago #33140

• JeanG
  • Fresh Boarder
I came into it from neither. Grew up in SD but was more into skating and spear fishing and body surfing. Tried SUP in Hanalei and loved the interaction with the ocean. Came home to Cardiff, grabbed a board, and learned to surf on the standup board last fall.

Re: From which side did you get into SUP? 10 years 8 months ago #33155

• Ucycle
  • Fresh Boarder
i start surfing on a longboard than bodyboard for a while. Got into kayak surfing than SUP when i saw some dude have fun on a micro wave day.
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds