Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Carolina Cup 2013 had the biggest turnout for an East Coast race to date

Carolina Cup 2013 had the biggest turnout for an East Coast race to date 10 years 11 months ago #32921

• DanGavere
  • Thank you received: 11
The Carolina Cup 2013 was an amazing event. The Wrightsville Beach Paddle Club along with Distressed Mullet and dozens of volunteers pulled off an amazing 3 days of races, clinics, and demos. Over 1000 people registered for one or more of the events and between the 1000 plus attendees and their families the event basically took over the Blockade Runner which was at maximum capacity for the weekend. Over 75% of the Resort Hotel was occupied by racers and they virtually rolled out the red carpet for all the SUP enthusiasts that came for the weekend. Danny Ching and Anabele Anderson made quite an impression with a solid lead from start to finish to be the first one's across the finish line in the infamous Graveyard Race that is literally one of the most challenging races I have ever competed in. The combination of a beach start through pounding beach break into open ocean conditions and then into the Intercoastal waterway against winds currents and boat wakes and then back out through a non jettied inlet make this a race that encompasses every condition a racer might encounter. Just finishing was an accomplishment. Anabele beat all of the 12.6 men and had a time good enough for top 15 against the elite men on 14' foot boards as well. The Money Island race had over 220 competitors for a challenging 6 mile loop on the inside of the Intercoastal and challenged racers in the intermediate to advanced skill levels as well. The Harbor Island race also had over 100 racers and for many of them it would be their first race. Lots of smiles and challenges were had by all and for me it was exciting to be a part of making history. I opted out of the race this year to help with organizational duties and be the Master of Ceremonies or the guy who talked your ear off all weekend on the microphone. I am already looking forward to next years race.

Full results here:
www.gameonnc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013...-Results-To-Post.pdf
Here's an awesome Video Recap including a few clip from yours truly:)
distressedmullet.com/video/2013-carolina-cup-recap-video
Thanks to Distressed Mullet, Starboard, Urban Ocean, Pocket Fuel, Teva, Level 6, Harvest Blue, Outside Van, FCS, and SUPreme for all the support in my attendance and participation.
Dan Gavere
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds