[please login to make this ad block disappear]
Imagine 5 cms of water rushing over a padded construction in the form of a wave with almost 50 kmh. Surfers and boogieboarders flowboarding on a Waveloch using specially designed foam boards without fins. That means that you cannot take your ordinary kayak and paddle on a Waveloch wave, as that would destroy the fragile surface!
Foam kayaks and hand paddles
To be able to surf the flowrider during the opening event of the Swatch-Wave tour in Munich last year, I made a tiny sit-on-top foamboard with foot- and thigh straps and padded a very short eskimo acrobat paddel with foam. I had a few rides, did a bunch of flatspins, blunts and even got a few tuberides! The best move I got was when Kelly Slater started to give me shit about my surfing on the butt and I stuck a big old airborn barrel roll coming out of a tuberide... There is a lot of potential to do some very radical moves due to the shape of the wave and the speed of the water.
To have a chance to introduce kayaking on existing waves, a hand paddle glove out of neopren instead of a paddle and a custom made sit-on-top out of the same material as the boards, will make it easier to convince waterpark owners with a Waveloch sytem to allow paddlers on the wave.
The real stuff!
There is a huge potential for kayaking on an artificial wave designed by Waveloch, if not so much on the existing ones, more for the ones to come in the future. Waveloch is working on a wave which can be surfed in a normal kayak. They already advertise these 'options' with juicy names like 'Deep Flow Channel', 'Action River' and 'Tidal Wave River', but none have been sold yet. The current plans are to install it below an existing dam, to have the pressure and amount of water to make it possible. The first one may be installed in France, since EDF (the French electricity company) already requested information from Waveloch about the possibilty to have a wave for this purpose.
Way to go for the perfect (if you are not too much of a nature fan, that is :-) playspot!
- 11' hard for river » Hello, I plan to build a river board... (River SUP)
- sup master instructor course from the Italian Federation for Amateur Paddling: October2016-June2017 » You should check out the ACA SUP program, as it sounds kinda similar...
- Waterblading - Send your Pics » bounce...
- Show us your SUP fish pics! » Extra Wide SUP for Fishing WideSUPfor2-2-3... (SUP Fishing)
- Michael Dolsey SUPs Has Just Opened a Southern California Distribution Center » NEWS FLASH Michael Dolsey Stand Up Paddleboards has just opened a southern California Distribution Center servicing the entire West Coast market...
- Surf Expo 2016: Victory Koredry » Victory Koredry presented their new booth, and its new tagline 'catch the sun'...
Login to post here